Friday, February 24, 2012

Baby Afghan I made for my new great-neice Julia

I improvised the design on this one. Used the center flower from one of the Harmony Crochet guides; but wanted a more solid square. The purple and pink yarns are Loops & Threads Snuggly Wuggly Baby Sport and the green is Bernat Softee Baby. I used a size F hook.

I wanted to do something different for joining the squares and after joining and frogging apart several times I got the idea to do two single crochets in the first two stitches of one square and then 2 single crochets on the other square, etc.  all the way across to join them together. It made a pretty little cable like ridge between the squares.

The edging is a row of cross stitch (sk a stitch, hdc in next two st and go back across front of work and do a dc in the skipped space. followed by a DC row and another cross stitch row.

I sure hope my neice likes it!!!!






Here's a close up of the edging.













I just found out I have another great-neice on the way too!!! I've already made 5 new baby blankets in the past two years, the neices are keeping me busy; but I love it. Heck, any excuse to buy more yarn is O.K. by me!!!


I've been working on getting ready for the Ashe County Farmer's Market season starting in April....I've made several dish clothes and several water bottle holders. I'm aiming to finish 20 water bottle holders and 20 plarn tote bags or lunch bags before then....But have been getting sore and numb across the shoulder blades if I crochet for more than 30 minutes or so at a time. I've looked up several youtubes with shoulder exercises and hoping those will help.

Here's what I've been working on the past few weeks.  I haven't worked in the end yet or attached the handles to the water bottle carriers. 

BTW, Have Y'all seen the big jump in yarn prices the past month. Seems like everythings gone up a dollar a skein at least. I have all my items for sale in whole dollar amounts so I don't have to mess with change and included sales tax in the pricing. I may have to increase prices to make up for the yarn cost increases and the booth fee at the Farmer's Market has doubled so I'm not sure how to keep prices reasonable and still pay for my yarn and work. I might try increasing items by 50 cents or so and see how it goes; though I hate to have to deal with quarters/change.  Takes me an hour to make a dish cloth or an hour and a half to make a water bottle carrier. ....May not actually be worth it to make the dish cloths but so many people like them for gifts that I always like to have a few sets of 3 available. The cheapest I can get the cotton yarn is about $.75 to $1 an ounce and the dishrags take about 1.25 ounces and the water bottle carriers about 1.5 to 2 ounces.

We were visiting family in Milwaukee last week and I got to go to Super JoAnn's...found this beautiful Deborah Norville Collection Serenity Garden Yarn on sale and then had the 10% off coupon from the Sunday paper........It's so nice and soft...I don't often find a sock size yarn I can use as I'm allergic to wools. This one is 100% Dralon Microfiber. I don't know what that means but it doesn't make me sneeze to use it and that's a good thing. I haven't decided what to make with it yet. Maybe some little amulet bags or scarves?
Also stopped at the Tamarak Center in West Virginia on the way home:
http://www.tamarackwv.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment